What is Spanish?
Spanish as a Leaving Cert subject aims to bring students closer to fluency in the Spanish language, as well as developing a good knowledge of literature, culture, and geography to provide a context for communication. As the second most natively spoken and second most studied language on the planet, it has widespread use in international business and makes travel to Spain,Mexico, and most of South America more accessible.
- To be able to communicate in Spanish. The student needs to gain competence in both receptive and productive skills in the areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking, keeping in mind that one’s receptive competence outweighs their productive.
- The students should be able to communicate about topics that are currently relevant to them.
What will I learn in Spanish?
Some of the things you will learn include:
- How to speak in the language about yourself, your family and friends, your hobbies, your school, etc. This will help you to talk to people who speak the language.
- The skills of listening to, reading and writing in Spanish.
- Spanish Grammar
- Information about the countries where people speak the language, and their way of life
What kind of student might Spanish suit?
- Anyone with an interest in Spanish culture, history, and language.
- Students interested in travelling the world.
- Students who are considering working inSpain(or other Hispanic countries) or international relations in the future.
How will Spanish be useful to me?
You will find modern languages useful in your personal life for travelling and in many careers including tourism, catering, education, business and translation services.