Home Economics

Killinarden Community School > Home Economics

Home Economics is a modern subject, teaching essential life skills and knowledge for boys and girls. With 1 in 3 Irish children overweight, all teenagers need to appreciate the importance of healthy eating for their present and future lives.

Junior Certificate Home Economics has 3 main aspects;

  • Cookery
  • Sewing skills
  • Written work

Assessment is a written exam in June of 3rd Year, a cookery exam in the Spring of 3rd Year and a sewing project, started during 2nd Year.

Leaving Certificate Home Economics is a scientific-based subject, involving detailed study of the areas covered at Junior Certificate. Unlike Junior Certificate, this course involves no sewing. Five compulsory cookery classes and a support booklet, accounting for 20% must be completed. The remaining 80% is for the written exam at the end of 6th Year.

Home Economics is a hands-on subject, developing their culinary and sewing skills. The sense of pride and achievement of pupils can be seen on a daily basis in the food and sewing projects produced by pupils. It caters for boys and girls of all levels of ability.