- To develop a positive attitude towards mathematics and an appreciation of both its practical and its aesthetic aspects.
- To develop problem-solving abilities and a facility for the application of mathematics to everyday life.
- To enable the student to use mathematical language effectively and accurately.
- To enable the student to acquire an understanding of mathematical concepts and processes to his/her appropriate level of development and ability.
- To enable the student to acquire proficiency in fundamental mathematical skills and to recalling basic number facts.
- To prepare the student for future study.